- This event has passed.
Lecture Series: Revolutionary Boston May 2021
May 11, 2021 @ 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
The President of the Military Historical Society of Massachusetts requests the pleasure of your virtual attendance at the first installment of a lecture series focusing on the history of Boston during the American Revolution.
The first presentation of this series is a presentation by Mr. Thomas Rider, a PhD candidate at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. His presentation covers a portion of his dissertation. Mr. Rider received a grant from the MHSM which he used to conduct research here in Boston.
Distinguished Lecturer: Mr. Thomas Rider;
PhD Candidate in History at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
His topic is “From Backcountry To Boston: Continental Riflemen in the American Revolution’s First Campaign.”
Mr. Rider teaches several courses in American and Military History while working on a dissertation tentatively titled: “War by Detachment – The Continental Army and Petite Guerre, 1775 – 1783.”
He is particularly interested in early American military institutions and the transfer of European military thought and practice to North America, particularly during the 18th century. Tom’s pursuit of a doctorate in history comes after the conclusion of a twenty-year career as an officer in the United States Army. During his military career he served two tours with the faculty of the History Department at the United States Military Academy at West Point in between deployments in the line Army. He also completed combat deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. While in the Army, Tom received an MA in History from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he had the privilege to work with the late Professor Don Higginbotham. Tom resides in Waunakee, Wisconsin with his wife, Barbara Jean, son
Alexander, and daughter, Bethany.
- To log in to Zoom meeting site – on May 11 at 13:45 click on Zoom icon above.
- A window will open on your screen asking you to either download or launch Zoom.
- Click on “Open Zoom Meetings” and the computer will open a web page for this meeting.
- If the host has not yet started the meeting you will see a box reading “Waiting for the host to start this meeting.” This box features a button allowing you to test your audio to ensure that your computer’s speakers are functioning correctly.
- When the host has started the meeting session you will see a box on your screen reading “Join with Computer Audio.” Click that button to link your computer to the meeting’s audio.
- If your computer has an attached video camera, you can choose to click on the “Join Meeting Video” icon in the bottom left of the screen. This will create a video feed of you which will be shared to the other participants.
- Mute button- the left of the meeting screen has an audio icon which can be clicked to mute your audio feed. Please engage mute feature when others are speaking or presenting.